What is the first commandment NIV?
Bible Gateway Exodus 20 :: NIV. “I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery. “You shall have no other gods before me. “You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below.
What is the first commandment?
The Judeo-Christian world is generally familiar with the First Commandment, ”Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
What is the meaning of commandment 1?
What It Means. God forbids His people from putting other gods before Him and commands us not to allow anything in this world to be placed above Him. This means that we are not to trust or honor anything more than God. This means we are not to fear anything or anyone more than God.
What are the first 10 commandments in the Bible?
The 10 Commandments
- You shall have no other God’s before me.
- Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven images.
- Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.
- Remember the Sabbath day and keep it Holy.
- Honor your father and mother.
- Thou shalt not kill.
- Thou shalt not commit adultery.
- Thou shalt not steal.
What does Jesus say is the first commandment?
Matt. 22 Verses 34 to 40  Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.  This is the first and great commandment.  And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
What are the 10 commandments simplified?
Thou shalt not have strange Gods before me.
What does Jesus say about the 1st commandment?
 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.  This is the first and great commandment.  And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.  On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.
What are the sins against the First commandment?
Terms in this set (6)
- idolatry. worship of a false God.
- impiety. treating sacred articles disrespectfully.
- apostasy. completely abandoning and rejecting all faith.
- heresy. a partial rejection of one or more of the truths of the faith.
- superstition. giving an object power which it does not have.
Where in the Bible is the 10 commandments found?
The Bible actually contains two complete sets of the Ten Commandments (Exodus 20:2-17 and Deut. 5:6-21). In addition, Leviticus 19 contains a partial set of the Ten Commandments (see verses 3-4, 11-13, 15-16, 30, 32), and Exodus 34:10-26 is sometimes considered a ritual decalogue.
How do we break the first commandment?
It has been said that to break the first commandment you don’t need to worship idols—you just have to look to something other than God for salvation or happiness. It can be maddeningly easy for religious people to fail here.
Where are the 10 Commandments listed in the Bible?
What is idolatry Why is it forbidden by the First commandment?
Idolatry is giving worship to a creature or thing instead of God. Idolatry is forbidden because the First Commandment calls us to love and honor God above all else.
How should we keep the Lord’s day holy?
Choose uplifting Sabbath day activities
- Visit family and friends.
- Write in your journal.
- Learn more about your ancestors and family history.
- Go for a walk and enjoy God’s creations.
- Take food to someone who is sick.
- Call, text, or message a friend who’s been on your mind.
- Plan or participate in a service project.
What are the commandments in the New Testament?
Thou knowest the commandments: Do not kill, Do not commit adultery, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Do not defraud, Honor thy father and mother. We expect Jesus to recite the entire Decalogue.