How do you use metropolis in a sentence?
Metropolis sentence example
- In the 4th century it became the metropolis of Narbonensis Secunda.
- The destruction of Jerusalem might be regarded as an event of merely domestic importance; for the Roman cosmopolitan it was only the removal of the titular metropolis of a national and an Oriental religion.
What is the best definition of metropolis?
Definition of metropolis 1 : the chief or capital city of a country, state, or region. 2 : the city or state of origin of a colony (as of ancient Greece) 3a : a city regarded as a center of a specified activity an industrial metropolis a cattle metropolis. b : a large important city one of Europe’s great metropolises.
Does metropolis mean city?
A metropolis (/mɪˈtrɒpəlɪs/) is a large city or conurbation which is a significant economic, political, and cultural center for a country or region, and an important hub for regional or international connections, commerce, and communications.
Is metropolis a real word?
noun, plural me·trop·o·lis·es. any large, busy city. the chief, and sometimes capital, city of a country, state, or region.
Where is a metropolis?
The noun metropolis comes from the Greek roots mētēr, meaning “mother,” and pólis, meaning “city.” Historically, the word referred to the founding city-state of a region in Ancient Greece. Today the word refers to any urban area. The largest metropolis in Massachusetts is Boston, which is also the capital.
What is the opposite of metropolis?
▲ Opposite of a city or town that functions as a governmental and administrative center. village. townlet. hamlet.
What is an example of a megalopolis?
Examples of megalopolises in the United States include “Boswash,” the chain of contiguous cities and surrounding regions that stretches from Boston to Washington, D.C., along the northeastern seaboard; the Chicago–Pittsburgh area around the Great Lakes; and the San Francisco–San Diego region along the California…
Is metropolis common or proper?
Proper noun A city, the county seat of Massac County, Illinois, United States.
Is New York a metropolis?
New York City is the largest and most influential American metropolis and the most populous and the most international city in the country.
What is the difference between a city and a metropolis?
– A metropolis is a large city or urban area which is a significant economic, political, and cultural center for a country or region, and an important hub for regional or international connections, commerce, and communications. – A city is a large and permanent human settlement.
Which is the closest synonym for the word metropolis?
- metropolitan area.
How do you use megalopolis in a sentence?
Megalopolis sentence example
- Both Sparta and Megalopolis sent embassies to Athens.
- Nearly one-third of the population of the United States lives within this eastern megalopolis .
- The foundation of the new federal capital Megalopolis threw Tegea somewhat into the shade.
- Demosthenes supported Megalopolis .
What is a megalopolis and give 2 examples?
2. The definition of a megalopolis is a large and densely populated city or group of towns that make up an urban complex. New York City and surrounding areas including Long Island are an example of a megalopolis. noun. An older spelling of Megalopoli.
What is the difference between city and metropolis?
city: a large town. metropolis: the capital or chief city of a country or region, or: a very large and densely populated industrial and commercial city.
What is plural for metropolis?
metropolis (plural metropolises or metropoleis or metropoles or metropolizes or metropoli or (obsolete) metropolisses or (obsolete) metropolis’s)
What is metropolitan culture?
‘Metropolitan cultures’ can be divided horizontally and vertically. There are the cultures of different classes, of the aristocracy, bourgeoisie, and the masses, the latter usually viewed as the social milieu of ‘popular culture’.
What is the difference between a city and a Metropolis?
What is a megalopolis city?
1 : a very large city. 2 : a thickly populated region centering in a metropolis or embracing several metropolises.
Is San Francisco a metropolis?
San Francisco – The growth of the metropolis | Britannica.